Winter in NZ
Well, it depends a lot of where you are as NZ covers a few degrees latitude. Up north, it is very rare to go below 0deg C whereas in Central Otago in the lower South Island, some days it doesn't get above that. On the whole, 90% of the country is OK to ride all year around. The other 10% is still do-able if you have good gear. The worse is really the rain, as that is the time of the year when we get the highest rainfall. Mountain passes in the south, and the central high country roads in the north can be icy sometimes for a few days at a time, but are usually gritted regularly. Salt is not used here.
Nigel in NZ
The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with .
-- 2200 BC Egyptian inscription