Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/)
-   -   NZ temporary Insurance for foreign bike (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/nz-temporary-insurance-foreign-bike-67725)

EyeCake 6 Dec 2012 12:42

NZ temporary Insurance for foreign bike
 
I am shipping my bike to NZ arriving just before Christmas for 2 months and wonder can anyone recommend an agent or company for temporary insurance
Thanks

Quandary 7 Dec 2012 01:44

Insurance
 
I did the same thing last year and used Star Insurance. Star Insurance | Specialist Motorcycle Insurance Found it OK and was piece of mind to have it.

Marty

Nigel Marx 7 Dec 2012 20:12

Most of the major banks offer insurance to customers. One way is to open an account at, say Westpac, take out a 12 month policy, with monthly payments, and cancel it when you leave. It's often much cheaper than what you can get short term. Just don't mention to the bank you are only staying two months. They won't ask.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ

EyeCake 8 Dec 2012 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Marx (Post 403264)
Most of the major banks offer insurance to customers. One way is to open an account at, say Westpac, take out a 12 month policy, with monthly payments, and cancel it when you leave. It's often much cheaper than what you can get short term. Just don't mention to the bank you are only staying two months. They won't ask.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ

If I arrive from Ireland and go into a bank surely they will be asking for a permanent address rather than a hotel and what visa do I have when I give passport for ID. Sounds good if it would work

EyeCake 8 Dec 2012 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quandary (Post 403163)
I did the same thing last year and used Star Insurance. Star Insurance | Specialist Motorcycle Insurance Found it OK and was piece of mind to have it.

Marty

Thanks for that, I will try calling on Monday as they don't seem to mention temporary foreign imports on site.
Was it expensive?

EyeCake 8 Dec 2012 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quandary (Post 403163)
I did the same thing last year and used Star Insurance. Star Insurance | Specialist Motorcycle Insurance Found it OK and was piece of mind to have it.

Marty

Thanks for that, I will try calling on Monday as they don't seem to mention temporary foreign imports on site.
Was it expensive?

Quandary 8 Dec 2012 20:11

cost
 
When I filled out the forms it asked for the period of insurance. I just put the dates in that I wanted it for. Expensive? Probably. It cost about NZ$200 for the 6 weeks I insured it for but It also cost me the same amount back in 1995 so in a way it was not.

Marty

Nigel Marx 9 Dec 2012 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeCake (Post 403340)
If I arrive from Ireland and go into a bank surely they will be asking for a permanent address rather than a hotel and what visa do I have when I give passport for ID. Sounds good if it would work

The banks these days are usually happy to email statements. It saves them money. If you need an address, use mine, plenty of people have for banks or vehicle registration.

I'm not certain it will work, but it did the last times people I know tried it.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ

EyeCake 19 Dec 2012 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Marx (Post 403459)
The banks these days are usually happy to email statements. It saves them money. If you need an address, use mine, plenty of people have for banks or vehicle registration.

I'm not certain it will work, but it did the last times people I know tried it.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ

Thanks for the offer Nigel but my daughter is living in Nelson
Bike has just arrived and I am looking forward to arriving next week:scooter::scooter:

nickthedesigner 13 Jan 2013 13:06

BBH insurance
 
I'm also heading to NZ to swing my leg back over the bike I left there 4 years ago, having ridden it from UK. It will have NZ registration, as opposed to foreign plates, but am also trying to find somewhere to get short term insurance (I need 6 weeks).
I found that BBH (Backpackers hostel association) offers short term insurance (https://www.bbh.co.nz/bbh_MotorInsurance.aspx) for 193 NZD for 3 months.
In case you found a better option, do let me know!
Nick

EyeCake 4 Mar 2013 15:41

Sorry for late reply
The best I could find was $360 for 6 months but with no refund.

kamil 14 May 2013 13:32

Hi, we are traveling around OZ now with our UK registered car and next stop is New zealand for 3 months. Anyone can recommend insurance company which we can use there.

Thank you
Kamil+Helena


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:05.


vB.Sponsors