Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/)
-   -   Letter of Compliance for Australia - Honda Africa Twin (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/letter-compliance-australia-honda-africa-18442)

twinadventurer 31 May 2004 10:35

Letter of Compliance for Australia - Honda Africa Twin
I have begun, what seems to be a fruitless excercise! But none the less I'm going to try and find out as much as I can before I make a decision.
I'd like to import my AT from London, Uk. Having looked at the criteria there's a little bit I need to do. I spoke to someone at DOTARS today and she suggested that Africa Twins don't have a Letter of Compliance and without that they can't be imported into Aus, period!
Has anyone actually done this before?
Do Honda Austraila issue a Letter of Compliance? (I'm going to write to them anyhow)
If not who else would?
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Keep it on 2 wheels!!

RichLees 1 Jun 2004 04:25

do you mean to permanently import a Honda UK model into Australia? if so, the stuff I got from Perth customs was pretty straightforward. they like the letter for anything non-standard, but your AT would be a UK model so you could ask Honda UK for a letter to clarify the differences, if any, from Ozzie spec. as long as the bike is standard, your main issues might be noise and hydrocarbon emmissions.

twinadventurer 1 Jun 2004 07:24


I wish to import permanently. Africa Twins are not available in Australia, thus the Import people requested a Letter of Compliance from Honda Australia to state, I suppose, that the AT is ok for Australian standards. So there is no comparrison, as such, to be drawn between Australian and Uk models.

I did bring this bike in on a carnet without too much hiccup through Perth, but I suppose it's a different story to perm. import.

Thanks for the advice though, I will keep plodding along...

Keep it on 2 wheels!!

[This message has been edited by twinadventurer (edited 01 June 2004).]

Frank Warner 1 Jun 2004 07:37

Yer need to talk to ATGreg.. he has one regoed in Sydney OZtrailia.


http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ubb...ML/000081.html and select email for ATGreg.

[This message has been edited by Frank Warner (edited 01 June 2004).]

beddhist 1 Jun 2004 19:09


Originally posted by twinadventurer:
I did bring this bike in on a carnet
My understanding is that in this case the bike must be exported, no exceptions.

Salut from Southern France, the bikers' paradise,


Cameron 2 Jun 2004 09:13

Try Importing it as a Honda 750 not A.T.
Sometimes a wording change allows a little more understanding from simple burocrats who become confused if it does not fit their into limited descriptions...

David and Cheryl Laing 8 Jun 2004 14:18

Perhaps someone in the Honda Riders Club could help you. It is a club run by Honda for Honda owners. email them on hrca 'you know what goes here' access.net.au.

[This message has been edited by Grant Johnson (edited 09 June 2004).]

twinadventurer 17 Jun 2004 13:34

Thanks for all the response, it appears that under the Personal Imports scheme you can actually import any vehicle provided you meet their stringent requirements.

For those interested, check out this site:


Keep it on 2 wheels!!

canadianmike 28 Sep 2004 21:58

Hey All,

Thought you might find this of interest. I have been shopping around for bikes in OZ, and saw the ad. As I won't be there for a year or so, and this one will certainly go before then, feel free to give them a call, just promise to tell me about all the fun you are having, ok?



EdwardH 28 Feb 2005 10:54

Hello mate,

I went through this whole issue with my KTM. My KTM Duke 1 wasn't ever officially imported as a model into Aus and a it took a year of messing around before I got it registered. I am sorry to tell you that your Letter of Compliance is NOT the last step. You will then need to have it inspected in order to get a compliance plate.

You CAN import it and ride it for twelve months as a temporary resident on a foreign visa and its subjective as to whether or not you would be found out...

I discussed this with my insurers and they were pretty happy but after a year I managed to get the paperwork anyway...

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:31.