Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Australia / New Zealand Topics specific to Australia and New Zealand only.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Queenstown, New Zealand
Posts: 103
VISITING another state or territory is not an issue. People do it every day. In fact, along the NSW/Queensland, NSW/Victoria and NSW/ACT borders there are people who live in one state and work in another and thus drive interstate all the time.

It's when you change your state/territory of RESIDENCE that you are supposed to change the licence and registration.

However what's supposed to happen doesn't always happen in practice.

Not so long ago I was working in New South Wales with a Queenslander who didn't change his licence or his car's registration, because it was cheaper for him not to do so. He still owned a house in Queensland, but as he'd moved interstate to take up a new job he could have been prosecuted and fined, as he would be deemed to be a New South Wales resident and an unlicensed driver. I think the bottom line is that each state wants to get as much revenue as it can from its own bureaucracy.

As for Kilhal's original question, I think the authorities in South Australia would probably say he's a temporary resident because he's working, and should have a local licence. He should check with them. And because of the nature of Australia it's quite possible that the authorities in one state may have a different view from those in another.

Hope this clarifies rather than confuses the issue.
Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 49
licensing requirements in VIC

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is current and valid) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation or an International Driving Permit).
If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas licence for three months from the date you first entered Australia or from the time the permanent visa was issued to you (whichever is the later). If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after this time you must hold a valid Victorian driver licence.

But, you can get a VIC drivers license on a temporary visa. Comes in handy as a ID and makes a nice souvenir. And you do not have to return your overseas license.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International driver's licence xt performer Australia / New Zealand 4 9 Nov 2006 01:10
international driver licence ?????? alejandro South America 6 22 Sep 2006 22:50
looking for an insurance company that will insure cam gear on my bike? running_on_empty Photo Forum 2 15 Aug 2006 23:31
Register and insure an imported bike in Victoria Grasshopper Australia / New Zealand 4 12 Jun 2005 17:18
International driving licence in Iran required or not? Margus Southern Asia 5 1 Jun 2005 05:19


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:31.