Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Australia / New Zealand Topics specific to Australia and New Zealand only.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2008
kilhal's Avatar
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 5
how to insure a bike with an international licence in Oz ?

Hi everyone.
I'm french, have my licence since 1997 and I'm about to buy a bike in Adelaide. Problem : insurance : I can't find one since I don't have australian licence. I'm on a working holiday visa so not sure it worth to redo my licence here ?
Any advise ?
Dans un univers infini, tout est possible
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008
KevOK's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: earth
Posts: 154
hey bud

Hey bud
Did you try swapping your license for an Ozzy one,contact the RTA and they'll let you know. I think that you can do this in Western Australia but I'm not certain .
Good luck
Ride on
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: albury nsw australia
Posts: 325
you dont need a aussie licence

only if your here more than a year
insurance can be a little tricky ,i used to run a backpackers and we had heaps of guys buying cars and the odd bike ,insurance is not compulsory here ,you get 3 rd party with the rego try contacting the kings cross car market ,they had a deal ,but i cant put my finger on the company we used to go through but they were way cheaper
Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008
Alexlebrit's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West London
Posts: 921
As has been said, surely the bike you buy will already have third party insurance with the "rego". What you'll be looking at is upgrading that to fully-comp (tous risques) but depending on the cost of the bike you might actually feel you don't need extra insurance and instead keep a bit of money/credit card for emergency travel if the bike is written off.
Happiness has 125 cc
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 35
the third party with the rego is only for human damage. Third party for other damage; Type "Don Hutton Brokers" in google and you find a company
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bribie Island Australia
Posts: 578
eBike Motorbike Insurance - Welcome to eBike motorbike insurance.

Try them, they offer online quotes, you need to give an Australian address.
Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 94
In Oz, there are 3 levels of insurance:
1) 3rd party persons (part of the rego and it doesn't matter where you're from)
2) 3rd party property (covers their vehicle but not a requirement)
3) yourserlf and your bike

I recently had my UK bike in OZ and went just for number 1. Consider that most of the time you'll be in the middle of nowhere and the only damage will be to yourself. In cities, of course, there is a risk that you'll bump into a Merc or BMW. If you do want 'number 2', then call up 'Northern Territory Tours and Travel'. They're in the Air Raid Arcade on Cavenagh Street, Darwin. They definitely insure foreign license drivers.

UK to Australia 2007
Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2008
kilhal's Avatar
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 5
Thank you. I'll stay with the rego for now and try to get australian licence.
Dans un univers infini, tout est possible
Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2008
farqhuar's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oztralia
Posts: 566
Good on you Kilhal. I've been riding for 36 years, am 54 years of age, have travelled extensively on bikes across all continents, except Antarctica, commute daily on my bike and have NEVER taken out anything except compulsory 3rd party person (compulsory) insurance. In most countries I have even gone without that.

Live dangerously, enjoy yourself and relax! There are more risks and dangers in your head than there are on the road.

Garry from Oz.

P.S. for those readers who feel I am being irresponsible in my comments, consider that I am married, have two children, have considerable assets, and am a small business owner. We only live once, enjoy it!
Garry from Oz - powered by Burgman
Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2008
MikeS's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,145
I got my insurance from Sun Corp I think even though I only had a UK licence. I just called a few and they were one of the few that would insure me without an Australian licence.

My little Vid: India/Pakistan

Suzuki DR650 SE: Ride it like ya stole it. Oh, somebody just did...
Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 49
my insurance history

I got my compulsory third party in queensland from suncorp without any questions at all. (think i didn't even flashed a drivers licence)

Got in the meantime a oz drivers licence in victoria (all you need is a proof of current address, e.g. telstra bill, an appointment and about 150AUD for a three year licence)

Using this licence I got another insurance now from vicroads (ctp is bundled with rego in victoria)

By the way, a short list of "magic words" to get your bike legal in the following states in oz (feel free to complete)

VIC: ask for a "unregistered overseas vehicle permit" or "APPLICATION FOR NON-REGISTERED VEHICLE TRANSPORT ACCIDENT COVER"
NSW: Nothing (sic!) (according to the document called "Vehicles from interstate or overseas":
"Vehicles from overseas
Vehicles visiting from overseas must have current overseas registration and their country of origin number plates fitted.

These vehicles are exempt from NSW registration and must not be issued with a UVP.

A vehicle exempt from NSW registration is also exempt from the requirement to have compulsory third party insurance. A NSW third party personal injury claim involving a vehicle from overseas ist made against the Nominal Defendant Scheme. This scheme ist administred by the MAA.

If the overseas registration expires while the vehicle is in NSW, the vehicle must be fully registered in NSW if the owner intends to keep using the vehicle. (Last updated on 12 June 2007)
(i'll scan this one tomorrow, or just go and ask your local RTA (please acutally do, becuase this would show this is still current))
TAS: ??
SA: ??
WA: ??
NT: ??
ACT: ??

I am currently trying to get a third party property in vic. I already failed with the RACV, because my bike doesn't even show in their system. I will try others next week, stay tuned :-)

Oh yeah, bring the summer on down here, it's about time.
Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
Sorry to bring up an old post but could someone explain how to go ahead and insure a bike in Oz? I'm on a full irish license and should be in Oz by november/december this year. Hoping to buy a bike then. With this "rego" you guys talk about is that automatically done? Also what about motorcycle tax, would there be any?

Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rotoiti, New Zealand
Posts: 104
For our recent trip to Oz we got insurance no problem through Swann for NZ bikes + NZ licensed riders, give them a call. Several other companies I called, including Suncorp, would not insure us.

Rego or registration, tax & other requirements vary by state, so check out the transport agency website for where you are going.

Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Queenstown, New Zealand
Posts: 103
A few different issues here guys.

Generally IF YOU ARE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA you are required to have a driver/rider licence issued by the state/territory in which you live.

If you change residence from one state/territory to another you are supposed to change your licence. Similarly your vehicle is supposed to be re-registered. It's a tedious fact of living in a country that isn't governed as a single country.

A prerequisite for registration is CTP - that's Compulsory Third Party personal injury insurance. You won't be able to register a bike without it, but if the bike is sold (and the registration has not expired) the CTP remains valid and automatically transfers to the new owner.

Any other form of insurance is optional, but I recommend at least getting cover for third party property damage. It will be very handy if you run up the arse of a Rolls-Royce, for example.

Then there's comprehensive insurance which covers pretty much anything.
If you're in a big city and don't have insurance against theft, keep your bike well secured. That's a lesson I learnt the hard way.
Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
So what would happen if you buy and register your bike in NSW and ride it to WA? What would happen if you're caught? Do it count only if you're staying in a particular territory for X amount of months? I'm sure people drive between territories somewhat regularly and you can't change the registration everytime?

cheers for the info!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International driver's licence xt performer Australia / New Zealand 4 9 Nov 2006 01:10
international driver licence ?????? alejandro South America 6 22 Sep 2006 22:50
looking for an insurance company that will insure cam gear on my bike? running_on_empty Photo Forum 2 15 Aug 2006 23:31
Register and insure an imported bike in Victoria Grasshopper Australia / New Zealand 4 12 Jun 2005 17:18
International driving licence in Iran required or not? Margus Southern Asia 5 1 Jun 2005 05:19


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:29.