29 yr old backpacker here, looking to buy a motorbike in Sydney to cruise around australia for 6 weeks! The idea is pretty recent so excuse me if I sound impatient in the message :-) I had some plans to do campervan relocations to wherever they would be needed but my first (big) leg fell through already and there's little out of Sydney.
Anyways: I fly to Sydney this coming friday. I have no set plan, but I'd prefer to drive from sydney to perth, sell the bike, and catch a flight back to sydney prior to my flight home. I have 7 weeks in Australia and am hoping to get at least 5 weeks of riding in.
I have a few questions regarding this:
- What are the requirements to own a bike in Oz? What prerequisites are necessary? I have a dutch motorcycle license (all categories). How do I get insurance, do I pay the taxes, etc? Do I need any local Ozzie things like a bank account?
- I've read there's difficulty in selling a vehicle in another state than which it was purchased in. Is this truly so much hassle and additional cost that it is prohibitive? Any indications?
If this is indeed the case, I'll do a smaller loop out to Uluru and back, something that will average maybe 200km per day.
- How long has it taken you to find a good bike, and sell it? I'm considering a few days (3-4) to buy a bike and gear, and calculating one week to sell. I'm already browsing internet for bikes in the Sydney area so I that I can hit the ground guns blazing.
- I have no biker gear with me as I have been backpacking through NZ and a bit of south america (I should have shipped it ahead from home!). What would I be spending on gear in Oz? Second hand is fine. I'm thinking at least gloves and a helmet, a cheap suit would be nice.
- At most I would spend 3k on a bike, and factor in a 1k hit when I sell it (price to sell in days). Any recommendations on a bike? I'm thinking either a recent ~400cc bike (newer), or an older 800cc (beefier construction, more reliable). Something along the lines of a honda, suzuki or a kawa. What are common and reliable machines in Oz?
If I think of more questions I'll post them