Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Australia / New Zealand Topics specific to Australia and New Zealand only.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2007
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road
Posts: 162
Anyone obtained a working visa for Australia

Just trying to work out if it is viable/possible to work for a short period 3-6months in Oz as part of my big trip.

Have been looking at Home - Australian High Commission and contacted them. THey gave me various links:

If you would like to work in Australia you will need to be eligible for an appropriate visa. Please see the visa options below, which permit you to work:
Temporary Business Entry (Long Stay) visa 457 - temporary employer sponsorship of skilled workers

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)
This visa seems to require a sponsor (i.e. an employer keen to take you on)

Any one been to an 'expo': Opportunities Australia - EXP07

Has anyone managed to get legal employment within Oz and if so how? And did you have to front up the huge application fees: Professionals and other Skilled Migrants Visa Charges - Outside Australia
Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007
mattmbishop's Avatar
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 74
For UK residents under 30 years of age you can get a working holiday visa, valid for 12 months. That sounds like the one you want really:
Visa Options - Working Holiday Makers - Visas & Immigration

If you're over thirty the only option is a full work visa, like what you've already researched.

I've worked in Aussie for a bit, but I'm a kiwi so don't need any visa at all. But, from what I've seen, if you looked around a bit you'd have no trouble finding cash work, especially if you venture into the outback a bit.
Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007
Shells's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Travelling in Australia
Posts: 186
Working in Oz

Hey Karter,

Like Matt said, if you are 18 - 30 (inclusive) you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa - easy peasy to apply online - mine was approved in a few minutes.

With something as tricky as a visa application, you definitely need to continue with the research and get it straight from the source. Check out Department of Immigration and Citizenship too.

Depending on how much time you have and how much energy you want to invest in this, you can look into the the migrant visas may be an option. But if you are only intending to be there for a few months, it is hardly worth it (those visas are designed for individuals who intend to be in Australia for a period of years).

I have been searcing on SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site and a few of the recruitment sites. Some adverts actually state that employers are willing to consider sponsoring the right applicant. That may be a more suitable option for you. Pre-print the relevant forms and make it a bit easier for potential employers (it really is only submitting some paperwork for them, and a few little hoops, but nothing too major).

Of course, if you are only looking for incidental work for petrol money, a few words to a bar/restuarant owner or labouring company might be helpful in organising something cash in hand.
If you don't have bugs in your teeth, you haven't been grinning enough!
Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road
Posts: 162
Old donkey

I forgot to mention I'm 40 :-( so no easy visa.

But ta for the job site link looks useful
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007
Roi's Avatar
Roi Roi is offline
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Caves Beach, NSW, Australia
Posts: 78
Exclamation OZ. Visa's

Hi Karter,

Like the guys say.. 18 to 30 you can only get a work visa, after that you have to be on the S.O.L. which is the.... "SKILLED OCCUPATION LIST" and this is only valid to the age of 45yrs, (i have heard rumours that they may push it to 50yrs)then after that you have to be 55yrs or older and you then qualify for a "RETIRERMENT VISA".
So unless you have a trade like a hairdresser (would you believe it thats top of the list) you can apply for the appropiate visa. Im in the process of goin for my SOL visa, hgv mechanic to get out there before im 45, oh! the missus has decided to come out on my application now.

So good luck if you gonna go for it.

Roi. n Bron,
R.n.B. Caves Beach, NSW.

Live life to the MAX!! "one knows that one can, if one wants too".
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visa for Iran : how it works iris_trui Trip Paperwork 13 20 Oct 2007 15:02
Libya- working visa for USA bernardo feio lightweight Sahara Travel Forum 3 10 Jun 2007 09:43
Russia Visa for US citizen: Is this correct? MarkCh Trip Paperwork 2 15 Mar 2006 07:12
Bring a motorcycle into England on a Working Holiday Visa Kaer Europe 16 21 Jan 2006 20:50
Iranian and Pakistan visa Story Leavesley Trip Paperwork 1 23 Oct 2003 21:08


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:33.