Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   4WD Overland TRAVEL (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/)
-   -   Insurance ? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/insurance-24164)

Phil Flanagan 14 Nov 2006 20:46

Insurance ?
Have found it extremely difficult to get vehicle insurance for extended (time or location trips).

Most of the insurance companies were reluctant to offer me even Turkey (i ain't told them yet about the whole plan !!!!!) and the few that did restricted it to a total of 180 days outside of UK during the years policy.
Now the obvious way around that slight clause is to cancel policy and start new one after 179 days - legal but awkward.

Does anybody know of a company that can offer comprehensive (or even just third party) insurance for a trip that lasts in excess of 12months and potentially travelling through the likes of Mongolia & Russia ?
WHile we're thinking here - would also be nice to have some form of personal contents cover too !

any ideas people ???


Roman 15 Nov 2006 16:54


Phil Flanagan 15 Nov 2006 21:34

thanks Roman, and i take your point i.e - go search.

but i really was hoping one of the 4x4 boys could advise of a company name that will cover self conversion vehicle for over 6 months in non 1st world countries.


CornishDeity 15 Nov 2006 23:25

Someone elses recommendation
Hi there,

In my spreadsheet of all things important I have made a note that someone recommended

Navigator Travel Insurance

But I don't seemed to have referenced it, so can't say who it was. Might be worth a look, as I am plannnig to spend a year driving to Oz, so I'm guessing they must do something similar to that.

Let me know what you find out :)

moodybloo 18 Nov 2006 14:15

The only company i've found so far that will provide a green card for outside the E.u. is Norwich Union Not direct but through a broker.
Unless anyone knows of others?

Phil Flanagan 19 Nov 2006 11:41

Already with Norwich Union, and yes your right they will provide green card to enable travel beyond those EU borders.
But, the rascals put that darn 90 day clause in.

Apparently company 'Fortis' will offer green card (certainly to Turkey anyhow) & they will extend cover to 180 days.

But I fell at last hurdle ! they would not cover my iveco, not coz its 4x4, not coz its a van but because it has been 'self-converted' into motorhome.

Still Lookin !

cedar 19 Nov 2006 18:49

Hi Phil
Cambell Irvine will do you fire and theft, but no one will cover third party outside the country, or area ie europe, CFA zone. Personal stuff you can cover with Endsleigh. we have our Iveco (embarrassingly) covered by the caravan club, as they don't mind home conversion, but only for europe.

Roman 20 Nov 2006 08:22


For 12 month green card try Generali Versicherung AG, (Generali Gruppe), Landskrongasse 1-3, 1010 Wien.

Their broker is All Risk Insurance Service (ARIS), A-3400 Klosterneuberg, Wienerstrasse. 134. <www.aris.at>. Direct contact - Romana Memic at <sekretariat@aris.at>

Camelman 20 Nov 2006 11:26

Hi Phil,
Haven't tried these people yet myself but hear they may be able to help

Let me know how you get on as I'm planning same trip myself.

UnderAfricanSky 20 Nov 2006 20:02

International Car Insurance Specialists
Hi Phil,

I found this we site the other day. They seem to specialize in car insurance for international travel, including Africa.


Haven’t tried them yet.

hone41 21 Nov 2006 09:29

Anyone know of a company thet will provide insurance for N.Z registered vehicles travelling Singapore to Europe?

Sjeng 23 Nov 2006 07:14

For Russia try www.ingosur.nl


moodybloo 26 Nov 2006 16:37


Try comfort insurance who are brokers for norwich union They will do 180 days outside eu.
They will cover self builds but you need to supply 2 interior shots and 2 outside photos.

Be warned its not cheap!

You can even get breakdown cover for maroc!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:08.