Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   4WD Overland TRAVEL (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/)
-   -   Do u need UK road tax to drive in the EU? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/do-u-need-uk-road-20728)

roamingyak.org 25 Sep 2003 20:59

Do u need UK road tax to drive in the EU?
OK, I have a new (UK) MOT and a new (UK)insurance policy. But as I will be leaving the day my (UK) road tax runs out, do I need to buy a new tax disc? I'd prefer to say it is off road until I come back.

I assumed I do need to buy a new tax disc. But I won't be in the UK during the next 12 months, and have the insurance to cover me in Europe. Somebody told me I don't really need it etc

Any ideas?

But will my insurance not be valid etc?

Steve Pickford 25 Sep 2003 22:58

Lack of tax should not invalidate your Insurance, unlike a lack of an MOT. Best thing is to phone an insurance broker or your own insurer.


ChrisC 26 Sep 2003 07:01

Hi Darrin
the official line is that if you do not have valid road tax from your country of origin then you are illegal, and therefore could be liable to being uninsured. Outside the EU tou will probably get away with it - certainly in Africa.
I'd tax it for six months just before you leave, with tax to start for the day after expiry of current tax-disc.

Happy travels.


roamingyak.org 26 Sep 2003 15:39

Thanks Chris,

I figured it would be like that - as long as you pay tax on it somewhere in the eu you are ok - just like booze from France etc.


Nelly 26 Sep 2003 16:13

Just a point to note- you need to register with the DVLA that your vehicle is off the road (SORN)when you stop having a tax disc or they will fine you lots (£1000 I think) when you next go to tax your vehicle.
We have just had a similar discusion with the DVLA and reached the same conclusion as you with the tax disc but are going to send it home to get a refund when we leave the EU.

roamingyak.org 26 Sep 2003 17:05

Hi Nelly,

Yes, I know about registering it off road - what form, who do you send to etc for the refund and to then let them know it is off road?

Cheers, dj

Toby2 26 Sep 2003 20:30

There is a section on the renewal form that they send out when you tax is due for being offroad or alternatively you should be able to get it from the post office. Go and spend some quality time with those lovely people in the village post office, I'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction. Only problem might be I believe it does invalidate your insurance. I would send it back with the form once you have exited the Europe. I take it you haven't left yet then....

[This message has been edited by Toby2 (edited 26 September 2003).]

mcdarbyfeast 27 Sep 2003 05:19

If you are using your 'normal' UK car insurance when you travel abroad you will require an MOT certificate and depending on your insurance company, UK road tax, or the insurance company may invalidate your insurance. If, however you arrange 'Green card' insurance from one of the companies listed elswhere on this site (Knopfleurs, for example) you do not require either the MOT or the Road Tax. Neither of these documents are recognised by the authorities outside the UK they only satisfy your UK insurance company.

Bear in mind, however that on re-entering the UK the vehicle must be taxed to use it legally on a public road. You may drive the vehicle without an MOT if you have a pre-booked appointment for an MOT test and you are on-route to that test.

If you use your 'normal' UK insurance outside the UK the cover will only be valid for a short period of consecutive days, usually 30.

It sounds complicated, but with a little careful planning you can remain legal.

[This message has been edited by mcdarbyfeast (edited 26 September 2003).]

Madrid_CapeTown 21 Oct 2003 16:16

>>[QUOTE]Originally posted by as I will be >>leaving the day my (UK) road tax runs out, >>do I need to buy a new tax disc? I'd >>prefer to say it is off road until I come >>back.

Hi !!! . Defeinitely you do NOT need a tax disc , unless you use UK public roads. Be your car abroad , or even in UK countryside , as long as you dont drive on public road , you dont need a UK tax disc.

Also , In my xperience (4 years with a UK registered car in Spain ) , police will never ask for the road tax thing. They will ask for insurance , and they "may" ask for a valid MOT .

The law says that you must tax your car in the country the car resides more than 6 months . (in my case ,I should tax my car in Spain , which I dont! ) . I got spanish friends with Spanish cars in UK , and they had to buy a tax disc.

In resume : You must pay the local (UK , or whatever ) tax if the car stays longer than 6 months in that country. In practice , no one ask for it .

Curiously , you will find that you are asked for the tax thing ... in Senegal , Mali , etc... just triying to catch you to get some cadeau/bribe .

I wouldn worry that much about being taxed abroad , as about what happens when you return with a car without Mot & Tax.

Have fun

StephenS 18 Nov 2003 23:10

When you return and try to re-register your vehicle you will have to sign a document to say you have not used it on the road (other than to and from an MOT) since it was last registered on pain of a £1000 fine.

If you decline to sign this your new road tax will be "back dated" to when your last one expired.

Timing is an important consideration in the efficacy of a rain dance.

Ian Bradshaw 20 Nov 2003 06:08


Originally posted by mcdarbyfeast:
If you use your 'normal' UK insurance outside the UK the cover will only be valid for a short period of consecutive days, usually 30.

With Frizzell I get 180 consecutive days in EU with same level of cover as at home & no need to inform them of trips - they cover cars and bikes although they would not cover my XR650-R. Oh and *nobody* could get close on price or service.



[This message has been edited by Ian Bradshaw (edited 20 November 2003).]

Bundubasher 15 Mar 2004 20:47

DVLA have just told me a SORN is not valid if your vehicle leaves the country.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:39.