Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   4WD Overland TRAVEL (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/)
-   -   Crossing China OVERLAND in 2011 (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/crossing-china-overland-in-2011-a-53511)

nicolumbus 1 Nov 2010 08:22

Crossing China OVERLAND in 2011
Hey there

I am currently in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) with my old Toyota Landcruiser. I am might planning to cross China overland with my car around May 2011. I would like to drive from Laos to the Mongolia.

I have already an offer from a chinese travel agency and I am looking forward to find some other Overlanders who wants to join me and share the costs.

I crossed China already back in 2008 with the same company. Everything went well, but it was quite expensive.

So, if you are planning to cross China as well... please let me know.

Further informations on my webpage: www.nicolumbus.ch - Weltenbummler unterwegs! (but this is in german only...)

See Yaaa

uk_vette 10 Nov 2010 17:51

Hello Roman,

I have a few short simple questions, , , ,

Where will you plan to enter China?
What are your major cities you will travel through?
How long will you plan to stay on tour in China?
Where will you plan to exit China?

Which passport ? can I assume you are German? and on German passport?


farqhuar 10 Nov 2010 23:55

'vette, with a .ch domain name for his blog I suspect Roman is Swiss, but most likely German speaking. :cool4:

nicolumbus 16 Nov 2010 11:24

Hey there...

Sorry for my late replay... I was busy with fixing the car.

I am Swiss and do have a swiss passport. The offer of the Chinese agency was to drive trough China in around 3 weeks. I don not have the exact route in my mind, but basically we can make our own route, It all depends from the price.

We would enter China from Laos and exit to the Mongolia. If you are interested I can send you the offer including the exact route.

See Yaa

uk_vette 17 Nov 2010 22:52

Hi Roman,

Have you looked into getting a Chinese driving licence ?

I find out there are 2 options.
1, on arival at Beijing airport, I read you can get temporary licence, for the duration of your visa.
2. Take your EU licence and first go to Hong Kong, and transfer it to a Hong Kong licence.
Costs $150 USD to transfer.
When you get your HK licence,
Then, take your HK licence to mainland China eg: Guangzhou, as it is closest, and transfer that to a mainland Chinese licence.

Hey presto.

I go back to Beijing 02 December, so I will try this in the Beijing airport, and report back.


nicolumbus 15 Dec 2010 14:19


actually it is not just the driving license when you like to cross china with your own vehicle... you are also forced to take a chinese guide with you in your car, several permits and a chinese number plates.

You only can arrange this with special chinese travel agents. I have two offers now. 2 cars 4 person for 24 days 5500 Euro!

Are you interested to join such a travel from laos to mongolia?


kiwichrisbassett 25 Jul 2011 08:51

Hi Roman,

we are planing to do exact the same as you in May 2012 but from Mongolia to Vietnam (or Laos - plans not fixed yet). We know someone in Mongolia who will get us in contact with an agency when we get to Kazakhstan in October to stay there for winter.

Any chance to change your plans and go with us?? Check our website Thataway - Gedanke

greetings from georgia,

chris and ina

bajatwin 19 Dec 2011 13:46

What is you idea of route and costs to reach into Laos from Mongolia?
Interested in the idea.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:06.