Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   4WD Overland TRAVEL (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/)
-   -   car insurance (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/car-insurance-20819)

Tommo 9 Feb 2005 22:24

car insurance
Which Uk insurance companies will insure and issue a green card a land rover for an extended trip into europe and north africa.

moggy 1968 11 Feb 2005 07:48

Most will do europe, several will do morocco, but ask first, I don't think any will do the rest of africa, although west africa can be covered by a group policy available at border towns in mauritania, and it isnt desperately expensive. Don't try doing it without, my mate nearly ended up in a senegalise jail after leaving his documents in his hotel room!!
101 ambie
daihatsu fourtrack

Gipper 18 Feb 2005 16:02

Hi Tommo
I have used NFU Mutual for years with a lot of different Land Rovers - and there service has been second to none, very competitive, they accept modified vehicles - I just supplied a photo.
You cannot get a UK Insurer to cover you for West Africa, but NFU will give you 3rd Party insurance for Morocco if you ask nicely - at no extra charge, which saves you a good few Euros if you are spending a while there.
For the rest of West Africa you have to buy insurance at borders or the nearest town to the border, which is a formality -taking an hour - or two on a bad day. Just make sure you do border crossings on days when things are open !!!
There is also the 'Carte Brun' for most of the West African countries - I paid 40 odd Euros for 3 months insurance valid for 10 countries - well worth doing if you are touring.

Ex RAF Regt, Ex Dragoman, LRE Instructor,
LR 90 300 Tdi Overlander
Suzuki DR650 Overlander
..and Bloody Nice Bloke!

moggy 1968 31 Oct 2005 20:35

couldn't agree more about NFU. Easilly the cheapest for landies, and they know the difference between a 101 and a series111. They were fantastic when I had a misshap travelling, organising repairs, a balance transfer to the garage (so I didn't have to pay them) and a translator to speak to the garage on the 'phone.
For a landrover (and probably other types of 4x4), especially if it is modified I can't imagine any other company coming close

101 Ambie
moggy minor traveller!

kevinrbeech 1 Nov 2005 01:32

LR insurance, (Royal Sun Alliance)insure me fully comp, not cheap but covers all mods and pays out on them if they are damaged/stolen. I believe Morocco is included in the FREE, unlimited European travel but for Tunisia they issued me with a green card, all fully comp.

ArschaufGrundeis 19 Nov 2005 21:46

full coverage
online application, forms, prices etc.
site also in English
hope this helps

andyb43 31 Dec 2005 19:22

As Kev said Land Rover insurance is very good they dont suck air through their teeth when you say that it is modded but you have to pay for it but if traveling a lot over europe then worth it.

Also they cover Off road in the cost. which is rare.

SaharaDave 18 Mar 2006 05:57

who Are NFU and where are they please,

moggy 1968 18 Mar 2006 06:53

They are the national farmers union. my agent is M Webber on 01580 878105

It's easy to be a good copany when all they want is your money but these guys were great when I had to put a claim in as well.

They don't cover morrocco on the green card, but beware if a company does 'cos you may end up paying a bigger premium, depends how often you go there and how much it costs at the border - can anyone advise. would be nice to know anyway as I going there in April.


TLC H60x2
landy 101 ambie/camper
1968 morris minor traveller!!


Originally posted by SaharaDave:
who Are NFU and where are they please,

Richard K 18 Mar 2006 18:04

moggy, as far as I remember, insurance at the border was in the region of 50 euros (January) and took about 2 minutes.

kevinrbeech 19 Mar 2006 04:39

Dear Moggy,
I have in front of me my LR insurance documents.
My premium for the current year is £483.76 paid in monthly installments approximately £44 a month.
Included in that are listed mods of:
Roof Tent, Steering Guard, Spotlamps, Expedition Roof Rack and Snorkel.
I have UNLIMITED European cover, I just have to notify them of dates outside of the country. I also have the Green Card issued from 17-12-05 to 10-01-06, which covers Austria, Albania, Andorra, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Belarus, Switzerland, Cuprus, Chech Rep, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, France, Finland, UK & NI, Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, Israel, Islamic Rep of Iran, Ireland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Morocco, Moldova, F.Y.R.O.M. Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovak Rep, Slovenia, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine.
The letter that came with it says " In this instance no charge has been raised".
Now I have to confess to having a high excess and annual mileage limit, but I don't consider that a bad deal.
When speaking to a specialist LR insurance company as advertised in a LR mag, I asked if my mods were covered in a claim and I was told that they were not. These were the only people that said they would pay out on mods. When arranging this cover I insisted that they state in writing that all declared mods were covered and they did.
In addition:
In car entertainment cover is: UNLIMITED
Replacement Locks: £500
Free use abroad: UNLIMITED
Uninsured loss recovery £50,000
My excess is £500, windscreen £50.
I don't feel that I've paid over the odds to have any other country included.

moggy 1968 21 Mar 2006 07:58

ouch! I think the only thing I don't have there is green card for morroco, but my H60 is about £340 ayear, excess is (off the top of my head) £100 and the toyota is a higher band than a landy. Thats with full protected no claims and I'm the wrong side of 30. 1bad boy speeding and 1 claim (the aformentioned wheel falling off incident).

get a quote, it can't hurt!

Thanks for the info on the cost of morrocan insurance

Landy 101 Ambie/camper
1968 morris minor traveller

Gipper 22 Mar 2006 22:41

Yeah, through NFU im paying £318 with all of the above, any driver over 25, Any trailer is insured as long as its attatched - which is handy as I do tow occasionally - and I blagged Morocco into the deal too at no extra charge, with a £100 excess, I have a full no claims, am 36 with no points (yet)

I was hoping they would insure the KTM too, but they have a 600cc limit on bikes - Doh ! - otherwise it would have been peanuts for that too !!!
Like Andy says its always worth getting a few quotes.
Cheers guys

Gipper 22 Mar 2006 22:49

Were you on the Plymouth-Dakar 03-04 ? as I met a load of your guys in Auberge Menata in Nouakchott trying to fix the rad on a Triumph 2000 and I lent them a blowtorch and some Fluxed Solder - wasnt you was it ?
There was a Triumph Herald and a biege Cortina there too.

moggy 1968 23 Mar 2006 00:14

No, we were in 'The pink Torpedo' in Jan, err when was it, 2004 I think. we were the ones who fixed a shogun with a blown rad hose by sawing the end off our exhaust! I wrote a book about the trip, you can see it at www.plymouth-dakar.com

was the Auberge any good by the way, if it was could you send me a waypoint as we are off again in April, running a load of school supplies down to the Gambia in a pair of H60 'Cruisers.

If anyone sees us give us a wave or say hello.

If anyone else has top tips for auberges I would like to hear them, especially one called the Auberge Sahara that we stayed in which was real nice, but I can' remember where the hell it was!

TLC H60x2
Landy 101 ambie/camper
1968 morris minor traveller

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:32.