Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > 4 wheels > 4WD Overland Tech

4WD Overland Tech GENERIC 4WD / 4 wheel TECH discussions and info that is valid for ALL brands. See brand specific forums.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Visit Matt Savage for VIAIR compressors, Air Lift Helper Springs, Tyre Levers, Chris Scott's Books & DVDs, KC Daylighters, Allisport Intercoolers, Overland Preparation and lots more!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 Aug 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 11
Changing the plated weight of a lorry

I have a truck which is rated to at 8,500kg gross (laden) weight.

Empty it is just over 4000kg and I wont be loading it up to more than 7500kg.

I'd like to know how to downgrade the rated (plated) weight of a vehicle with the DVLA.

I think this is just a paper exercise but perhaps someone has done it already?


Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2007
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nottingham uk/chur suisse
Posts: 67
you dont say the make of truck,but normally you contact the main dealer who will give you contact details of the company used to downplate vehicles(Iveco use a company called kingswood),they will sort out the paperwork with dvla & issue a new chassis plate all for a fee of course.
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2007
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 11
Thanks Moody

Do they have to see the truck to inspect it or is it a paper exercise?

Is there no way of doing it yourself?

The truck is a ford Cargo.

Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2007
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Horncastle,Lincolnshire,UK
Posts: 222
You can do it yourself but it can be quite a pain and you made need to carry out a physical modification-eg to springs to do so. I suggest you contact your local dealer and, more importantly, VOSA-number in phone book or go to the local VOSA test station. In my experience, the local guys are pretty helpful. I did this years ago with a Ford D series (so it would have to be years ago!) and it turned out simply to be a paper exercise. It was so long ago that I've forgotten how I did it!

Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nottingham uk/chur suisse
Posts: 67
in my case it was only a paper exercise,& normally is, for down plating ring your local dealer either ford or iveco as the cargo was a joint venture, they should be able to supply the right contact details.
Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 93
Smile Over weight

Hi Andy
If you are turning it into a camper, you don,t need to down rate it, just convert it, (supposed to have various things, like room for hanging clothes) but if it looks like a camper and has NO USABLE LOAD SPACE then you can just get your body type on V5 changed to camper. Get MOT at your local council depot, as no one else will have a big enough pit.
Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 59
Hi Andy

Why downrate your truck in the first place? I assume it's the usual reason,to put it into the 7.5 tonne limit for an ordinary car licence, otherwise there is no point. However if that is so, then if the police stop you they will look at the original plate and treat it as an 8.5 tonner so you'd better have the right HGV licence or you're in big trouble!

As both Quintin and Moodybloo say, get on to Ford or VOSA and they will tell you what to do. It may well be just a paper excercise but you will need a new plate and only the manufacturer or their authorised agent can issue one at the relevant fee. You can't just make your own and put whatever you want on it!

If you convert permanently to a camper you would be advised to change the taxation class to 'Private HGV': as Cedar says you must not, ever, use the truck for commercial goods carrying from then on. DVLA will change the reg. doc. to Motor Caravan, Private HGV and show the newly plated weight foc on application. Of course you should also display the notice "Not for hire or reward" on the bottom of the driver's door just like we all do, don't we? (Any vehicle from 3.5 tonnes MGW upwards cannot be classed in Private Light Goods whatever it's use but if a permanent camper on an HGV base it only requires a class 4 (car) MOT. At least up to 7.5 tonnes, I don't know above that weight.

Sorry if I sound pedantic Andy, but this is a complicated subject with lots of pitfalls and misinformation flying around, not a few grey areas, and penalties for getting it wrong can be heavy. And I've not even ventured into Tachograph regulations!

IMHO you would be well advised to cough up the fee ( I think Moodybloo's was about £250, mine cost £100 but both were different types of upgrades involving no mechanical changes on 4-tonne Ivecos) and let the professionals do it, then it should be straightforward and you are not risking big fines.

Ring Ford Trucks tomorrow!

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing from Alloy to Steel wheels andybee 4WD Overland Tech 6 6 Dec 2010 23:09
video tyre changing session? richardb HU Travellers Meetings - UK 5 23 Jun 2005 05:04
weight load xt performer Yamaha Tech 1 4 Nov 2004 19:43
Bull bars and weight Tonyabc 4WD Overland Tech 6 24 Sep 2004 22:23
weight vs power ekaphoto Which Bike? 9 8 Dec 2003 00:56


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:38.